Sunday 29 September 2013

Creative Juices

Hello all

Again, it's a late post this week.  I've been a busy little bee!

Week in review -

Work is work, another busy week. Is there anything else? I think not.
I had great hopes to get to a new knit group on Tuesday, sadly it didn't happen. My other half had a hospital appointment over in Newcastle. It's a good hour and a half from our house. His appointment was at 4pm and the knitting group meets at 7pm. Plenty of time I thought.....Nope! We didn't get seen by the Registrar until gone 6pm and we got back in the house at 8:30. A frustrating day, but on the  upside I got lots of knitting done! I worked on my Ammolite cowl and Annie scarf. It was a great shame that the winter approaches because it went dark on the way home, and my knitting in the car was curtailed by lack of light!

This weekend I've mostly been working on another kind of project entirely.



This is my latest acquisition. It is a 1960's or 1970's sewing box. I bought it from ebay and it was a bargain. The listing said there was some surface scratches "consummate with age". The seller listed a photo of the scratches, but when it arrived those scratches seemed a lot more prominent to me. One of those scratches was made with a biro and was as deep as the Grand Canyon!
 

Thankfully though, my other half is a keen wood worker and had all the tools handy to fix the problem. This weekend I learned how to strip the varnish off, and how to re-finish the surface. I've scraped, sealed, sanded, sealed, sanded, waxed, buffed, waxed and buffed and now I have this:



I'm so pleased with it! I'm already working on filling it!

Feeling the love this week -

Well as you know, I've worked on Ammolite and Annie while waiting patiently in the hospital. I got Ammolite finished and I'm really pleased with it.

 
 
I used Debbie Bliss Cashmerino aran. It's a lovely yarn, soft and squishy with great stitch definition.  The Annie will be a WIP for a while I think.
 
 
 I'm planning on using 2 skeins of the Louisa Harding Grace yarn, but it might end up being more, depending on how much I get out of the first one. It's not the most exciting of patterns, and I have to say that scarves bore me silly. So it's going to be at the bottom of my project bag for the foreseeable!
 
 
As this week's title suggests, the creative juices have been flowing this week, and for the latter part, I've been working on a new design. It's a hat. I've completed the prototype and I'm now knitting it a second time while I write up the pattern.
 
 I'm happy with how it's turning out. I'll post a link to the pattern on Ravelry next week hopefully. At the moment, I'm planning on publishing the pattern for a beanie-style hat this week coming and I'm going to update it soon with another slouchy version later.
 
 
Spinning has become the victim of my obsessional knitting I'm afraid. I do want to spin, it's just that there are too few hours in the day for me to get everything I need done.

On the Horizon -

I can see many more hats coming up! I've finally got new chest measurements for the girl's ballet wraps, so I'll crack on with those this week too.

With some good luck and a following wind I'll get to Knit Night and maybe even get some spinning done!!

Wish me luck

Until next week

Have fun

Ellen x

No comments:

Post a Comment