Sunday 1 September 2013

Pay it forward

Once upon a time .......................
I decided to join a group to spin along with during the Tour de Fleece this year. I found the Shiny Happy People; I'm sure I've mentioned them before. They're a lovely group, they enjoy each others virtual company and are very welcoming. The point of me telling you this is that I won a batt donated by one of those shiny people. Her name is Monica and she's so talented. Her online shop has the most divine spindles. This week my prize arrived. I was so excited to see what she'd sent me. When I opened the packaging I was over the moon! Monica had sent me 2 batts! And some silk!!

So I've decided to pay forward one of the batts in this amazing gift. I've started a Ravelry group. You can find us in the Knit To Stay Sane group. There's a thread entitled Pay It Forward.

 If this batt tickles your fancy (and it should because it's too lovely for words) you can post a comment and I'll pick a winner on Sunday 15th September. I'll declare the winner on my blog that day. 

The group will, I hope, become a place for like minded people to chat about what they're up to and how thin their sanity is being stretched! So I'd love it if you head on over there to check out what we're doing. 

Others happenings this week included the arrival of my first ever Pom Pom Quarterly magazine. This magazine is put out by a group of people down south and is a work of art. It is a great mix of fibre arts and life in general The photography is superb, with large images of the knits, great tutorials which are well explained and a rather fab recipe for a cocktail and chocolates! What more can you ask for?

The creators of the mag have thought of everything, for those of us who like to use electronic devices, each magazine comes with it's own code to download all of the patterns featured to your Ravelry account! This means I can dowload the patterns to my tablet and the gorgeous magazine won't get battered in my knitting bag as I knit!

I do have a gripe though, sorry.  There are eight patterns in this issue, half of them are knit from yarn from the US or Canada, 2 are from Europe and 2 are from the UK. One of the UK yarns chosen would cost me over £100 to knit the item! So my gripe is twofold I suppose. Firstly why not use British dyers and suppliers of yarn? Etsy is full of wonderfully talented folk. And secondly £100!!!! Really!?! I'm all for inspirational knits but a remortgage for a sweater seems a tad over the top to me.  That said, it's easy enough to substitute yarns and of those eight patterns I already have yarn on the way for three of them and there is only one I can't see myself ever knitting, so it's a subscription I'll be renewing next year!

Feeling the love this week -

This week I've been a good girl! I'm motoring along on Wisteria and I'm now down to the bottom pattern section of the body. Despite the heavy cabling, I'm making good progress, the countdown to the finish is helping, as is the motivation of my knitting buddy Dorre who has finished one of her sweaters already! Sheesh she's good. The greatest boon to my knitting has to be the tutorial in Pom Pom Quarterly about cabling without a cable needle. With a pattern which needs repeated fifteen times a round, this new knowledge has proven invaluable!

Makai has also seen some action, the opportunities to knit on it have been few and far between this week, so progress hasn't been great. I've decided that as soon as it's done, it's going to a lovely lady who's been poorly this week. It came as a great shock to me when I found out she was ill as I'd seen her last week and she seemed fine. To be knocked off her feet so badly shook me up almost as much as it had her!

My Dragonfly spin continues too. I'm still loving working with the fibre and it's spinning thin. REALLY thin.

Consequently progress seems slow. I can see the bobbin filling steadily so I know in my heart I am winning, but it's slow going. I'm not wanting to rush as I want to make the best job of this as I can.

On the Horizon -

Could this next week see Makai finished? Could I get the blessed body of Wisteria done? Is there any hope of maybe getting halfway down a sleeve?

Who knows, but I'll certainly give it a jolly good go!

I'd love to have an FO to show you all next time

Until next time, I'd like to encourage you to join the Knit to Stay Sane group. Come over and chat, it'd be great to see what you're all up to and maybe you could win that yummy batt

Ellen x 

No comments:

Post a Comment