Tuesday 10 June 2014

Heart Broken

Good afternoon readers.



I'm late blogging this week, I've been away on my jollies. As I mentioned last week, we went to Centre Parcs. We had a lovely lodge right on the edge of the site. We were not far from a pond where ducks and moor hens are nesting. These little cutties don't mind about being surrounded by people.


Mummy duck wasn't bothered at all by me crouching down and taking a photo. Baby ducks didn't even bother to look around to see what was looming behind them.

The whole of the site is carefully managed woodland. There are lots of different habitats; the flora and fauna are amazing.

Beautiful flag iris.

Every morning, we had a knock on the patio door - 


Mummy and Daddy duck came asking for breakfast. Once it was served the babies came to tuck in


I'm not a huge fan of feeding baby ducks bread, I'm sure I read somewhere it swells in their stomachs, so I made sure they had a bowl of water handy to wash it down.
And if there's water around then ducks will do what ducks will do!

Why wouldn't you go for a swim in a bowl of water!?

We had a lovely walk each day around the site.  Ben found a little bridge someone had made over a brook. It was constructed from small branches. He assured me it was quite solid and safe. I assured him, it was unlikely to have been built with the likes of me in mind!


There are also lots of new carvings which have appeared since our last visit.


This bench is stunning. Amazing work.

On the Friday afternoon, after we settled into the lodge, the boys went to explore. I did what comes naturally, I made a brew and sat down to enjoy the afternoon and some knitting.


Here I'm working on the second Hana Hou sleeve (sob!!)

Friday night was the night of my charity walk. Jean and I completed the 5 mile course in 1 hour and 40 minutes. Not bad I think. I worked on socks to raffle as I walked.


Here we are just as we set off. Saints preserve us!  This year was a full moon walk and we were all to wear neon, hence the rather fetching head and wrist bands! I made good progress on the knitting too.

It was 12:30 am by the time I got back to Centre Parcs. The lovely security guards helped me park my car and then gave me a lift back to my lodge so that I didn't have to find my way back alone. A huge thank you to those guys!

Once back I treated myself to a glass of wine and a chill


I thought I'd work a few more rows on the sock, but I realised that I'd dropped a stitch near to the end, so I just worked to fix that, and decided it was too late to do more than that!


But I don't think that I did too bad for one 5 mile walk:


I had actually worked the toe while we waited to set off, I think increasing for a toe while walking might have been a step too far!

Saturday was a lazy day, we were all up late, and then sauntered to the pool for a swim. That afternoon saw Ben and I do archery. He loves it and he's really rather good at it.  Now he's older, we could join an adult class. It was great. The tutor watched you shoot and gave you tips on how to improve. We'll be back for more next time I'm sure!

Sunday involved more swimming and then quad biking for the boys. It was billed as a quad bike safari, and it was VERY off road Matthew says. Ben got a bit scared at one point when the bike had to tip really far, but they had a great time. They both want to do it again.

As usual, the food was good. I think the best part for me was not having to think about cooking for 4 
whole days!

Yesterday (Monday) Ben was off on a school residential to Scotland. It meant an early start, a yomp to the car, a quick drive back home, pick up his suitcase for the trip and then drop him off at school. Once I'd suitably embarrased him by demanding a kiss goodbye in the playground, I drove back to Centre Parcs to pack up the lodge. Matthew and I then had a couple of quiet hours by the pool before heading home.

That was when this week's title comes into its own! After I'd set the washing machine off, walked the dog and made tea, I settled down to finish Hana Hou. Those who follow me on Instagram or Twitter know what's coming. This week I've worked on the last sleeve. When I finished the first one, I realised yarn was going to be short - so short I did't have enough to add the cuffs, but I was happy with the length as it was, so no matter. As I worked the second sleeve, it quickly became aparant that playing yarn chicken was in order. 

I kept going, keeping positive thoughts at the forefront of my mind.

It was going to be fine, I could squeeze this 

Don't panic, I could weave in ends and magic knot the odds and sods together 

No, don't be stupid - that would look awful on the sleeve cap - SO obvious

I resigned myself, with one increase repeat and the cap to go - it wasn't happening

I couldn't stretch this any further


A heartbreaking hour later and this is what I have

Hana Hou is completely ripped out and in time out! 

As the Carolina Fiber Girls would say FoReal!?!?!?

I did pin what I had together to try it on and it was way too big. My swatch was bang on, but I think that the stone of weight I've lost since casting on has given way too much ease. So, I'll cast on again, this time the next size down. 

Not yet, but soon.
Right now, just looking at that photo gives me pain. 

Feeling the love - 
Not Hana Hou that's for sure!

I've worked a lot on the charity socks. I finished the first sock on the Saturday night (ah the joys of the 6-ply sock yarn!)


I'm also making good progress on the Twisted Limone stripy socks. I've finally found the tag and if anyone wants to know, the colour is called Bitter Sweet. Bitter sweet they are too. They don't fit me (bitter) they do fit my wonderful MIL Jean (sweet) who utterly deserves hand knit socks.

I have done a couple of rounds on the Sun Ray shawl. I love how it's turning out, I love working on it, it's just a shame that at the moment finding enough snatched quiet moments to work on it is proving difficult.


On the horizon - 

I may, or may not, cast on Hana Hou again. *sigh*

I will work on the charity socks, I'd love to finish them off this week

I will continue to work on the stripy socks, but I'm in no rush to finish them, I'm just enjoying the knit

I'd like to say I'll work on the Sun Ray shawl, but we'll see

I'm hoping to start a new crochet blanket. I've got the yarn in stock, and I'd love to turn it into something special. I've seen something on Pintrest I'd like to have a go at, but I need to knobble my crochet guru at Knit Night tonight and work out how to start it off! More details hopefully next week.

OOOHHHHH!!!!!! OOOOHHHHH!!!!!! CAMP ALOHA FRIENDS Bunkhouse alocations happen this week!

I'm looking forward to meeting the guys who'll be bunking with me in the Winnebago Wanderers bunkhouse. 

Can't wait to see what's in store!


Have a great week, 

Ellen x 










No comments:

Post a Comment