Monday 18 February 2013

Has Spring Sprung?!

This week has been extraordinarily hard at work! It was my own fault. We have two pharmacists where I work.  I am the Superintendent (sounds better than it is, it just means that if anything bad happens it's my fault!) and the second pharmacist is a lovely lady who works part time.  She's been on holiday this week because it's half term in these parts. I decided that I'd try to save some money and work alone while she was off! Stupid thought! There's a very good reason why there are two pharmacists working in the dispensary - there's too much work for one person to do and remain sane by the end of the working week! As it was, I got through a nasty week by the skin of my teeth! I am, however, cream crackered!

I borrowed a child this weekend.  My son is an only child, and he likes to have his best friend over to stay some weekends to play.  This weekend this borrowed child has been a godsend! They've played happily together and left me to re-coup and get on with house work.

I went out to walk the dog on Sunday. It was a beautiful day - there is still snow on the hills, but the snowdrops are out and the daffs won't be far behind.


The first signs of spring

Murphy says "Stop taking photos and throw the ball!"



On the walk down our lane, I see Bob.  No one knows who made Bob, but he appeared a couple of years ago. Originally he had a flowerpot hat but he fell off his perch last year in some high winds and it broke. I made him a sock yarn hat to replace it - yarn bombing Cumbria-style! I keep thinking he needs a new one. The colours have faded to shades of mud and the pompom has definitely seen better days. So I must add a new hat to my list of things to do!

So to crafty things

FO's
Last week I claimed my wingspan as an FO.  I also claimed it the week before! Oops! What I actually finished last week was my Age of Brass and Steam. I'm quite happy with it. It still needs blocking, so while it's a little small now, I hope that blocking wires will cure it!

I also finished my Voodoo you love me doll. I'm really please with her, and I hope that the recipient is too.


WIP's
The baby cardies from last week haven't seen the light of day.  I'm thinking that I'll get to them sooner rather than later; preferably before the babies in question graduate!
I have worked on my Evenstar too. Tonight I finished the second chart and have increased to an eye-watering 560 stitches! My next task is to go up to a larger cable on my needles and try to spread this epic shawl out a little.
During my WIP draw clean up, I discovered a hand spun shawl I'd started. It's the Ullswater shawl. The designer is a local dyer/spinner/designer and I love the pattern. It's got enough lace to keep you occupied, but enough stockinette to make it a good in between project. I picked it back up this week,and realised just how close to the end I was when I put it away! I've got the last lace repeat and the edging to do then it's finished! I'm about half way through that last lace repeat now, and it may be  focus for FO status for next week!
The Inspira has seen a little progress, but not enough to really comment about, I love working on it when I pick it up, but it seems that the desire to cast everything on leads to the inability to work on any given project for any length of time!

Spinning

I've finished the first 4oz of fibre for the Knitabuls 2-ply colour me different SAL is complete and I'm really happy with it.  I got 816yds of a very light fingering or heavy laceweight yarn
I had some of the blue Everest colourway left on the bobbin so I've started spinning the second half of that first.  I'm still hopeful that I can get the second 4oz completed by the end of  February! Wish me luck!

Goals for next week -
To finish the Ullswater shawl
To make progress up chart 3 of the Evenstar
To finish the Everest single

Have a great week everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment