Sunday 10 March 2013

Little Fishies

So then, this week has mostly been a week of nothing to report.  I've been working which has been ultimately uneventful. My evenings have seen me knitting or teaching. My son is a member of the local swimming club.

Once upon a time, I loved taking him swimming, I'd sit in the viewing area watching him swim while I worked on some knitting or crochet. I used to swim competitively myself when I was younger. I was decidedly average, and gave up when I realized I just didn't the talent to make it.

While I was sat up in the gods knitting, I watched the kids swim up and down, and I started to get frustrated. I watched while the kids swam up and down with awful technique. I thought, I could do better than some of the folk on poolside. In the end, my other half got sick of my moaning and told me to put my money where my mouth is! Suffice to say, I now teach 5 sessions a week over 3 days.

Some days, I struggle to find the motivation to go, but once I'm there I tend to enjoy myself. The kids are on the whole great, sometimes they listen and we have a great session, sometimes they don't and I have to think of my happy place.

Tonight (Sunday) saw the first Gala of the year. Its' a great opportunity for me to look at the kids and pick a team for the rest of the year.  I love watching my "teenies" swim. My teenies are the teeny tiny kids I teach for 2 sessions a week. They range in age from 5 to about 7. I love taking them from non-swimmers to little fish! I was so proud tonight watching them compete. Most of them have never swam in a race before. My son did OK. He had a goggle disaster in his first race and came last. But it was a learning opportunity, when your goggles come off in a dive, just throw them away! Don't carry them in your hand for the whole 50m swim! Dear Lord!!!!! But hey ho! His other races were OK, but he's the youngest in his year now, and the kids he swims against are much bigger and stronger than he is. What a difference 6 months can make to kids at this age! He had fun, and that's what counts.

On to the crafty things

FO's -

Erm, well, that'd still be a no! I am trying! Honestly I am! Soon I hope!

WIP's -

This week I've been a good girl. I've been monogamously working on the Evenstar. Sunday evening sees me reach the half way stage on chart 3.  I stopped working on it to go to the Gala, I'll probably leave it now, until tomorrow as I'm tired and I'm at a point in the chart that sees me having to move stitch markers a lot, so I'll wait for a fresher brain tomorrow.

church windows almost completed

Spinning

Well, when I haven't been knitting, I've been spinning up the Dark Wings merino from Nunoco. It can only be described as a thing of beauty! It's spinning up beautifully, and thin too.  I'm hoping to get a light fingering from it  once it's plied. I'm enjoying spinning it so much. My free time should be spent on the Evenstar, but I have to confess that I'm a little addicted to spinning this fibre. I can't wait to see what it's like once it's done!


Goals for next week -

OK, I know I said it last week, but this time hopefully it'll happen. I aim to finish chart 3 of my Evenstar shawl! (chortle chortle!!!!)

I'd love to get the first single done of the Dark Wings fibre, but in all honesty, it's spinning so thin I'll be lucky to finish half of it and get the Evenstar worked on.


So have a great week, and I'll speak again next time



No comments:

Post a Comment